Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stuffed Squash Blossom

Dan came home after work on a weekday. We each started a bottle of beer and chatted a little. He went upstairs to change his clothes and didn't come back down. I went upstairs and found him asleep. I laid down next to him and fell asleep too. We were very tired. We both needed to empty out some of our thoughts and residues from the day. After about an hour, we woke up hungry.
What are we eating for dinner?
I don't know.
Um...
Um......
We didn't even finish our beers.
...! We can pick some squash blossoms, stuff them with goat cheese, make beer batter with the beer we didn't finish, and fry them up!

Now I was all excited about the idea of a squash blossom, that is a "stuffed and beer-batter fried" squash blossom. I went out to the garden and picked some young squashes and blossoms. Some squashes were so young they still had flowers attached to them. I also harvested first-of-the-season poblano peppers and a couple of basil leaves.

Preparation was simple. I cut the young squashes lengthwise. Cut the cap off the peppers and cut them lengthwise and removed seeds. For squash blossoms, I stuffed in about a teaspoon of creamy goat cheese from the Caprikorn farms. For poblano peppers, I put in small pieces of basil leaves and then placed a little bit of goat cheese too.

For the beer batter, I used
  • 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup of stone-ground corn flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • two pinches of baking powder (about 1/2 tsp?)
  • 3/4 cup ~ 1 cup of beer to make the batter smooth and fluid
Dipped the prepped veggies into the batter and pan-fried them up! They were delicious! So tasty that Dan made it again this past Sunday.

This time, fingerling potatoes from Summer Creek joined the plate. The choice of cheese was Monterey Jack and we also used some breadcrumbs from CakesForCause for stuffing. Also for a couple of squash blossoms, I threw in a couple of blueberries that I just picked from Glade-Link Farm. Dan didn't cut his poblano peppers lengthwise before cooking. He cut it just before serving.

I told him that I don't want any fried food for a while. But looking at the photos while writing this post, I feel an urge that I should make this dish again, soon. I mean real soon!

Yeon

1 comment:

smoo said...

This looks incredibly good. All of your recipes make me hungry!