Thursday, July 3, 2008

Early harvests

Living in the city, with its heat island effect, has its advantage: early produce. I have harvested two brandywine tomatoes, a handful of sungold cherry tomatoes, and three romas so far this year. Yeon has already brought in half a pint of tomatillos. I have one brandywine tomato sitting on the counter that is begging to be in tomorrow's Fourth of July spectacular. Will it be tossed into a peanut-lime slaw? A caprese salad, with some luscious buffalo mozzarella and balsamic reduction? Sliced as the perfect accompaniment to burgers? I am spending way too much time waxing on a single tomato! I'm going to hit the farmer's market on East Street on my way home tonight and hopefully find it some friends. I'm going to get as much fresh stuff at the market today that I can; zucchini and squash will be grilled and tossed in a vinaigrette for a fresh summer treat. What else will I make? I don't know yet. I'll take pictures and share with you after the holiday.

Shannon

No comments: