Saturday, July 19, 2008

Flowers for the market: June 7

I love flowers. When Elin said that she would like to have flowers or a small pot of plant to decorate Cakes for Cause stand at the farmer's market, I volunteered right away. It was and is my mission to find fresh flowers for every Saturday. And no, I don't buy flowers from a grocery store or a flower shop. I figured it would be nice to have a small arrangement of flowers from our own gardens. This way we could track what kind of flowers bloom when. It is also more fun, more meaningful and more challenging.
I have a modest selection of flowers growing in my backyard, but it is not enough to fill a vase of flowers, not for every week. I asked my gardener friends and they have generously donated flowers from week to week. I have been taking pictures and now have some catching-up to do. So let's start from the very beginning, June 7.
Note to myself -I don't have anything blooming at the beginning of June. I just had gorgeous globemaster Allium blooming, 9 of them towering over my raised bed and they were all done by June. Roses at Ricardo and Doug's garden were fading too. Luckily, Jen asked her mom and she sent us two huge bouquet of flowers which I combined to one.
From the garden of Jen's mom
  • beardtongue (Penstemon cobaea)
  • false indigo (Baptista)
  • salvia
  • holies
From Jen's garden
  • silver leaf sage (Salvia officinalis x S. fruticosa)
  • coral bells (Heuchera)
  • catmint (Nepeta)
Jen's mom must have a huge garden. I noticed that whenever she gives out her flowers, she cuts them really tall, which is hard to do if you have only a few flowering plants. I would love to visit her garden some time and see all the beautiful perennial plants she grows.

Yeon

No comments: