Thursday, July 17, 2008

Garden bounty

Sigh. My gorgeous tomatoes have blossom end rot. Is there hope? I'll have to go to Dutch Plant Farm this Saturday for the antidote (calcium/magnesium?). They also have a great product there that repels rabbits. It works- the stuff saved my greens. On a related note, it smells like barf (main ingredient: "putrescent egg solids") and you don't want to get it on your shoes. It's also expensive. Other than that, it's great.

Today I harvested three jalapeƱos, three cayenne peppers, two black bell peppers (small) and a pint of cherry tomatoes. The tomatillos are coming along and I hope to start harvesting them in a week or two.

I am volunteering at the Cakes for Cause booth again this weekend at the Farmer's Market. I plan to make crackers again for the market. They didn't sell a whole lot last week but they are really good and I believe in them. This week I'll put more seeds and things on them. My ulterior motive is that I will take home what I do not sell. They are made with semolina and wheat flours, plus good olive oil. I am really into them and they are fun to roll out in my pasta maker. If we decide after this week not to sell them again, maybe I'll post the recipe...

Shannon

No comments: