Sunday, August 9, 2009

I missed you!

Hey pals! I missed you while I was on vacation in Seattle. I did manage to make it to a couple of farm outlets while I was out there. First, I went to the farmer's market in Ballard (a Seattle neighborhood) and it was pretty amazing. They had their own versions of local breads, cheeses, and produce. My friend Kathy and I stocked up on fresh goodness for our trip to the Cascades. I got a seeded multigrain rye bread that was the nuttiest, most delicious bread- totally dense and loafy. We also got greens, tomatoes, peppers, onions- lots of things we could chop up before a camping trip and throw in a cooler mise en place style so that prep in the woods was kept to a minimum. There was a portable wood fired pizza oven at the farmer's market; I was totally impressed. I bought a local bottle of kombucha, which is fermented tea, and this was quite a treat. They also had local ice cream makers, prepared food stands, and so many things I can't remember. And I forgot my camera.

During our very scenic trip in the Cascades, we stopped at the Cascadian Farm food stand. If Marie Antoinette and Disney got together and had a farm stand, it would look like this. More alpine and cute than a real cute alpine stand would look. Kathy got blueberries and we scarfed them instantly. They had a very pretty show farmette on the property with a demonstration "three sisters" garden, an herb garden, and a "u pick em" blueberry patch. Talk about good marketing. I know, I am jaded. But hey- it was local!

I am happy to be home. But I miss views like this:


Shannon

1 comment:

Yeon said...

The farm stand looks really nice. Glad you got to eat fresh local food and take in a beautiful scenery.