Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hello Gorgeous Squash Blossoms

This post is dedicated to Hilda Staples' last post at her blog entitled "Hello Gorgeous". I love pretty food.

My old pal Brent from college came to visit on Saturday and we went to the farmer's market. Then we went back to my place and made pizza. I hadn't seen Brent since he got married three years ago- how does this happen? Time flies!

We made a decent farmer's market pizza this week, with a crust made from gluten-free bread mix. The crust was okay- I know I can do better in time by experimenting with flours. The toppings were amazing, natch, because we used fresh veggies in season from my garden and the farmer's market. Pizza topping:
  • zucchini and pepper slices from Summer Creek Farm and Chesapeake's Choice marinated in raspberry vinaigrette and grilled
  • eggplant slices from Chesapeake's Choice that were oiled and salted and grilled [I marinate eggplant separately because it doesn't like extra water]
  • Fresh slices of pineapple and speckled Roma tomatoes from my garden
  • Fresh mozzarella from South Mountain Creamery
  • Fresh Italian goat cheddar from Caprikorn farms
  • Oregano from my herb garden [which needs a trim in the worst way]

We also made stuffed squash blossoms. The blossoms came from Jim at Tomatoes Etc. Last time I made them, I just stuffed them with Caprikorn Farms chevre, dipped them in egg and bread crumbs, and fried them. This time we shaved corn kernels from an ear of corn that we got from Scenic View Orchards and added a diced pepper to the chevre and used gluten-free baking mix instead of bread crumbs. This is now my favorite way to eat stuffed squash blossoms, which are amazing anyway. The season for them is almost over so get them while you can. Brent had never eaten squash blossoms before and he was amazed by them. It's always cool to introduce a friend to something new that they end up loving.

At the end of our meal, my friend Jackie came over and tried some of the pizza and squash blossoms. She liked it the pizza, and loved the squash blossoms, of course.

No comments: