Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Welcome Spring Dinner

Dan got a rib rack on Friday and decided to smoke/grill ribs. He has some beautiful shots of the ribs before and after cooking and hopefully will post them soon. Here I present you with the photos of side dishes that we prepared for the dinner with our friends on Saturday.
Photo by Dan
Deviled Eggs: stuffed with smoked salmon, chives and chervil. I picked up a chervil plant from Nancy in the morning and used some in the afternoon! I used Rainbow eggs from Nancy and Dave.

Photo by Dan
Mixed green and arugula from Rieko and Erland. Radishes from Rick in pickling juice (not quite ready that night but were delicious the next day). Strawberry dressing is made from strawberries that we picked from Glade-Link farm last year. The small blue bowl is from Shuck Pottery.

Photo by Dan
Grilled spring onions from Jim (Tomatoes et al), and three different asparagus from Chris, Rich, and Rick.

Photo by Dan
Strawberry and rhubarb cobbler. Rhubarb is from my garden. The original recipe was for rhubarb only and I modified it to work with half strawberries and half rhubarbs. The original recipe is from the Herbal Kitchen by Jerry Traunfeld. I made deviled eggs above following his recipe from the same book.

  • 1 pound of rhubarb stalks, cut into 1/2 pieces
  • 1 pound of strawberries (frozen ones from last year, thawed and dried to remove access water)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup spearmint, chopped
  • 2 TBS of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces)
Biscuits
  • 1 cup all-purpose flower
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp fine salt
  • 5 TBS sugar
  • 4 TBS unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup minus 1 TBS heavy cream
I introduced the strawberries since my green rhubarb doesn't stay pretty when cooked , and because strawberries and rhubarb go so well together. I cut down the content of sugar and spearmint.
  1. Preheat the oven at 400F.
  2. Mix rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and mint in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Dot with butter. Bake for 20 minutes and the mixture is bubbly.
  3. While rhubarb and strawberries are baking, make the biscuit dough. Mix flower, baking power, salt and sugar (only 4 TBS), and then cut into butter using your finger tips or pastry blender until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Pour the cream and briefly mix so that they come together. Roughly divide the dough into 8 discs.
  4. When you take out the baking dish following the step 2, arrange the discs you made from the step 3 on top of the hot rhubarb/strawberry mix. Sprinkle the remaining 1 TBS sugar on top of the biscuit disks. Bake for another 20 minutes, or until the biscuit is dark golden brown.
This cobbler is sweet and tart at the same time. Our neighbor Mike asked if there was mint in the cobbler, while Jackie didn't know till he mentioned it. It is a fun and easy recipe and I would like to try with fresh strawberries again. If I can get a hold of red rhubarb stalks, I might try the original recipe too.

Yeon

3 comments:

smoo said...

This looks absolutely delicious. What does chervil taste like?

Yeon said...

According to Jerry Traunfeld, it has a suave peppery-anise flavor. Please stop by and taste some leaves. The plant is very pretty too.

Chelsea said...

I just re-discovered how amazing the strawberry/rhubarb combination is! I made a crumble, I suppose you'd call it, last night with just a tiny pint of berries and two stalks of rhubarb. Soooooo delicious! I envy that large cobbler in your post... I bet it didn't last too long.

And incidentally, I couldn't resist buying a rhubarb plant at Thanksgiving Farms last week. So - I'm jumping on the rhubarb-growers bandwagon. Are your plants set in a raised bed, or straight into the ground?