Saturday, September 26, 2009

Eggplant and Lamb Sausage Shepherd's Pie P.1.

I am making eggplant shepherd's pie. Yes it's late. But I had dinner at my parents' tonight and am making this for dinner with friends tomorrow night. It has some superficial similarities to shepherd's pie but it is pretty different. The bottom is lamb sausage (Rohrer's) in place of minced lamb, eggplants (Chesapeake's Choice), and leeks (my yard), sauteed in a cast iron pot and mixed with a tomatillo (my yard) sauce I made this afternoon. The tomatillo sauce is too salty because I used a commercial chicken stock and reduced it to caramelize it. I added sour cream in the style of a stroganoff to complement the tartness of the tomatillo and knock down some of the strong flavors. I think it worked..

The top is mashed potatoes (Summer Creek Farm) and turnips (Glade Link Farm) mixed with 1/2 c half and half and about 1/8 tsp salt. It's in the fridge now to be baked tomorrow.

It might be awesome or it might be awesomely bad.

No comments: