Monday, October 19, 2009

Roasted Cauliflower with Apple et al.

It was going to be my Apple challenge, but it turned out to be more of a Cauliflower challenge. I picked up this huge, perfect cauliflower head from Gwen and I wanted do something special. I had this roasted cauliflower with apple idea, and I ended up modifying a recipe from Herbal Kitchen cookbook. I took
  • 2/3 of Cauliflower (about 1.5 lbs), cut into florets
  • 1 Ginger gold apple, chopped into big chunks
  • 1 Asian pear, chopped into big chunks
  • 1/2 Onion, cut into strips
  • 1 TBS dried currant
  • olive oil, salt and nutmeg
Mix cauliflower, apple, pear and onion with olive oil. Season wit salt. Bake in an oven at 425 for about 25 minutes, until cauliflower starts to brown a bit. Add in currant (I want to use golden raisin next time) and bake it for another 10 - 15 minutes till they brown nicely. Stir in freshly ground nutmeg just a bit.

Yum.

With the rest of cauliflower, I made cauliflower puree. Cook cauliflower with milk and cream till it is tender. Puree the cooked cauliflower in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Again, I added a little bit of nutmeg. Very subtle but significant enough to make you wonder what's in it.

I shall follow up with more apples!
Yeon

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yum. Gorgeous photos, too!

smoo said...

Yeon, this is beautiful!!!