Thursday, June 26, 2008

Turn your tomatillos into Agua Verde

Since Yeon's tomatillos are ripening and I have six plants; and I got tequila for my birthday from Brad (urban pumpkin grower) and Danielle; and I saw this recipe in the March issue of Bon Appetit, I am going to share a cocktail recipe with you. I haven't tried it yet so you will have to let me know how it tastes:

Agua Verde
March 2008 Bon Appetit
  • 1 pound tomatillos
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of sugar
  • 1 garlic clove, halved
  • 1/2 fresh habanero chile
  • 1 c reposado tequila
  • 4 dashes Maggi Seasoning (liquid umami asian seasoning similar to soy sauce made from vegetable protein. Use another flavoring if you are sensitive to msg. )
  • ice
  • 4 sprigs cilantro
  • four radishes, halved
Puree whole tomatillos in a food processor. Strain through a sieve set over a bowl, pressing firmly on solids to yield 1 c juice. Discard solids. Mix salt and sugar in juice. Mix in garlic and chile. Let stand 1 minute. Discard garlic and chile.

Do Ahead- Tomatillo mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Stir tequila and Maggi Seasoning into tomatillo mixture. Fill 4 tall glasses with ice. Pour mixture over. Garnish each with cilantro and radish.

Shannon

No comments: