Monday, November 30, 2009

Salmon canapes

Here are the leftovers from the bridal shower that ended up back at my house. Half of a pear cobbler and a few flattened salmon canapes. Needless to say I threw a party and we ate them, and then went ska dancing.

My Aunt Irene and her daughters threw my sister a lovely bridal shower, and I was really touched. It was also a huge help, since my mom had to throw together a Thanksgiving dinner and an engagement party just before.

As is my custom now that I have to eat differently than before, I made both dishes without a recipe. The pear cobbler was just a gluten free biscuit mix with seckel pears from Scenic View Orchards and agave syrup. I can't tell you how it tasted to others but it seemed dry, yet tasty. The salmon canapes, however, were the bomb. Ironically, I did not taste them since they had dairy and wheat in them. But I knew they would be awesome when I concocted the idea.

When I got to the shower hall, I got my food out to cook it. My Aunt Irene told me we could not use the ovens. So cousin Patty and I went to her house and she totally saved my butt by cooking the mushroom rolls and chicken skewers I had brought. While she did this, I assembled the salmon canapes. My cousin's husband and Uncle Buddy also enjoyed eating them while we cooked them in the kitchen. Patty's husband said, "there's like three different flavors in there that all come together in my mouth." And my sister told me later that someone had told her that it made tartar sauce in their mouth. I actually spent some time thinking about putting this dish together- when I first imagined it, the cream mixture was going to be on a potato slice that had been baked in oil to reduce moisture, with salmon and a chive on top. Several people asked me for the recipe to this:

Salmon Canapes
  • 1 large loaf of dark brown, sweet bread. I used the bread I got at the last day of the market from So Very Special. It looked like it had dates and molasses in it. I did not try it because of the gluten!
  • 1 c of sour cream mixed in the food processor with 1 c of cream cheese and enough milk to get the mix to piping consistency- the consistency of mortar, when it is soft enough to squirt through a bag but strong enough to hold its shape when it comes out.
  • 1.5 pounds of sockeye salmon, thawed and baked at 425 degrees F in a marinade of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt. I normally cook salmon until it is still gelatinous in the middle but I cooked it more to not freak out the family.
  • Vlasic dill slicer pickles, cut into pieces about 1 centimeter long and 1 inch wide.
Slice the bread into sandwich-thickness slices and cut the slices into quarters. Lay them on a serving tray. Pipe about 1/2 tsp cream mix onto each slice. lay the pickle on one side of the cream and a chunk of the salmon on the other. That's it. Take it to a party, I promise it will be a hit.

I found out today that Melissa and Alexandra of So Very Special lost Stephen today. Stephen was Alexandra's husband and Melissa's dad. He passed away after a long illness. My condolences to them in this difficult time.

Shannon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My condolences as well.