Sunday, November 8, 2009

Capital Food Fight

I am so excited, I can't wait! I am going to the Capital Food Fight this Wednesday in DC to try food from some of the best restaurants in DC and watch Bryan Voltaggio compete with a bunch of other chefs. My friend Hilda and I are going together and I am just beside myself with excitement. The event is a benefit for DC Central Kitchen. In their own words:
Our cohesive approach to solving the interconnected problems of poverty, hunger, and homelessness has led us to become a recognized national leader in our field. As a community kitchen, we recycle over one ton of surplus food each day that would otherwise go to waste and turn it into 4,500 daily, nutritious meals for the greater Washington, DC region. Among the people preparing these meals are the students of our Culinary Job Training program; once homeless and hungry individuals themselves, these aspiring men and women are equipped with professional and life skills. DC Central Kitchen uses the existing ingredients of our society to strengthen bodies, empower minds, and build communities.
This alone would be exciting. But then you have all the judges and "celebrity guests." Some of these characters are a real who's who of food lovers:

Jose Andres

José Andrés

Anthony Bourdain

Anthony Bourdain

Ted Allen

Ted Allen

Eric Ripert

Eric Ripert

Carla Hall

Carla Hall

Jonathan Umbel

Jonathan Umbel

And of course, battling chefs:

Barton Seaver

Barton Seaver

Michael Mina

Michael Mina

Mike Isabella

Mike Isabella

Tracy O'Grady

Tracy O'Grady

Bryan Voltaggio

Bryan Voltaggio

There will also be tastings from fifty DC restaurants. There are a number of restaurants I have been dying to try. I will be sure to take lots of notes and report back. I am also interested to see who really highlights fresh local ingredients that are in season. Needless to say, I am going to make an exception to my special eating plan that day, and I am okay with it. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

On a related note, I have nothing to wear and have been out looking for an outfit and have not found anything yet!!!! At least I have some wonderful shoes.

Shannon

1 comment:

omars said...

I am extremely jealous and will look forward to details and photos!!