Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A perfect weekend with Nectarines

We had such a beautiful holiday weekend. The weather was so gorgeous it made me sigh. Dan and I did a lot of little things around the house, did shopping together, and most of all, had wonderful dinners with lovely neighbors.
I had bought a half peck of second nectarines a week ago, and they reached full ripeness by Saturday. I made nectarine ice cream and nectarine tart and both were well received by our dinner guests. I had so much fun making the tarts and would like to share some photos.

Cutting nectarines to 1/8 inch thickness and arranging them in a rose shape.

Three tarts done and one more to go. The original recipe is from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. It calls for 9-inch tart pan which I didn't have, so I decided to make four mini (4-inch) tarts and it worked out great.

After the nectarine roses were arranged on pre-baked tart shells, the filling was gently poured in. The filling contained egg, sugar, lemon juice, flour, browned butter and framboise (raspberry wine). The original recipe calls for chambord (French black raspberry liquor) or brandy.
It is funny that the night before I made tarts, I served nectarine ice cream with fresh raspberries because I thought they would go pretty well. I guess I am not the only one who thinks that way! In the tart, raspberry filling tasted great with nectarines.

For a 9-inch tart, the recommended bake time is 40 minutes. I baked about 33 minutes with the mini tarts.

I am in love with tarts. I made peach tarts twice this summer where the supporting flavor was almond. Lovely. I need to make more tarts while peaches and nectarines are here.

1 comment:

smoo said...

These are gorgeous!!!