Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pawpaw update

As I reported earlier, the pawpaws are ripe RIGHT NOW. I finally had a ripe one yesterday, and I can honestly say it was one of the best fruits I have ever eaten. Ripe, the pawpaws are green with black spots and they feel like an avocado from the outside. Inside, the flesh is white-yellow. But the taste...

The taste is like a combination of banana and papaya. The texture is firm but custardy, also like an avocado. The skin is really thin. I just cut the fruit in half and scooped the flesh out with my teeth. I have a thing for cherimoyas so it should be no surprise that I like their cousin, the pawpaw. How exciting that a native fruit is this delicious! This tropical!

My friend Jen, the doyenne of pawpaws, thinks they would be good in a pina colada. Yum!

1 comment:

Yeon said...

I have never tasted pawpaw! How can I get one to try out?