Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rohrer's Meats: Stuck in a Drift

Greetings from the farm. After a few snowy weeks, life seems to be returning to normal. I managed to make it through the snow without too much difficulty. My biggest problem occurred this past Tuesday. I had to get my donuts for Shrove Tuesday. I like the ones made by the bakery in Jefferson. I took the back roads on my way over the mountain. I had heard that Townsend Road had a 17 foot drift, so that is how I went. I didn't see anything near that big, but a loader and backhoe were removing snow from the road. To avoid this wait on the trip home, I left Jefferson by way of Old Middletown Road, thinking this was a major link between the two towns and would be no problem. After passing Bussard Road, only one lane was open. As I crested the hill, I was hoping no one was coming the opposite direction. But there was a large stake body truck coming the other way. And he could not make it up the hill. The truck started backing down the hill, only to back into a snow bank. Here he sat, unable to go forward or backward. The snow was 4 to 5 feet higher than my truck on both sides. 8 to 10 inches was on the road. Snow was blowing so much we could not see 100 feet in front of us. A call was placed to 911 asking for a county plow. We would shovel the snow from behind the wheels and try to get him going. Two of us helped by pushing. We would get the truck going, but it kept sliding deeper into the drift. Finally the plow arrived, but from the wrong direction, even though the caller told them to come from the Middletown end. After circling around the other way, they hooked a chain to the stuck truck and pulled it out. The driver then had to back up for nearly a mile to the nearest intersection. Two hours later, I was on my way home. The donuts did smell good, but I waited until getting home to try one. I guess it was because of the problems getting home, but they just didn't taste as good to me this year. Hopefully next year the roads will be clear when I go for my kinklings. Then I'm sure they will taste as good as I remember.

I will be returning to Dutch Plant farm this Saturday, February 20, from 10 AM until 12:30 PM. Pork will be frozen. I will have loin roasts, butts, ribs, pork chops, smoked ham steaks, bacon, and all flavors of sausage(country, hot Italian, mild Italian, applewurst, bratwurst, maple, and sage). Beef and lamb will be mostly fresh. Lamb will include butterflied legs, loin chops, arm chops, cubes, boneless shoulders, and ground. Beef will include strip, ribeye, flank, skirt, and sirloin steaks; boneless chuck, sirloin tip, and eye round roasts; stew cubes, and ground round. I will also have whole and cutup chickens, and legs/thighs. I will also have eggs and cheese. Saturday sounds like a heatwave is coming, with temperature over 40. Hopefully you will be ready for some locally grown meats and be able to make it to the market. Eat fresh, be well, and I'll see you there.

Danny
Rohrer's Meats
301-432-8350
Dakarohfarm@aol.com

No comments: