Thursday, February 19, 2009

Does a meat-free diet shrink your brain?

From Danny Rohrer:

Greeting from the farm. This is the type of research I love to read. The headline: "Study:Meat-Free Diet Can Cause Brain Shrinkage." The study was done at England's Oxford University. The conclusion was that those on a meat free diet were six times more likely to suffer brain shrinkage. The link was discovered by scientists using memory tests, physical tests, and brain scans on people from 61 to 87 years of age. They were again tested 5 years later and the results showed that those with the lowest levels of vitamin B 12 had the highest levels of brain atrophy. These results confirmed earlier studies linking low levels of B 12 to brain atrophy. And where does our dietary B 12 come from? Meats, fish, and milk. Yeast extracts are the main source of B 12 in the vegetarian diet. So then, if you don't want to be worried about brain shrinkage, be sure to stop by this weekend and stock up on meats [or eat yeast- Shannon]!
I will be returning to the Dutch Plant Farm Saturday from 10 AM until 12:30 PM. Pork will include tenderloin, pork chops, spare ribs, country style ribs, baby back ribs, boneless shoulder, smoked ham steaks, and bacon. Mild Italian, hot Italian, country, and bratwurst will be fresh while applewurst, maple and sage sausage will be frozen. I will also have a small amount of frozen pulled pork barbecue. Lamb will include loin, arm, and sirloin chops, racks, boneless shoulder roasts, kabob cubes, stew cubes, and ground lamb. Beef will include strip, ribeye, sirloin, flank, and skirt steaks, boneless chuck, eye round, and sirloin tip roasts, stew cubes, and ground round. I will also have cheese, eggs, and jellies.
I have a supply of frozen pork spare ribs and smoked ham steaks that I would like to move. I will be offering them this week for buy 2, get 1 free, as long as the supply lasts.
I think it will be a bit chilly so be sure to bundle up. Eat fresh, be well, and I will see you at the market.
Danny
Rohrer's Meats

1 comment:

lss said...

I'll stick to my B12 supplements! I'd rather have a shrinking brain and live meat-free than eat an animal.