Saturday, September 26, 2009

Steve Small's one-of-a-kind eggplant dish

This is great. I mean how fun is this? The entries keep coming in! Here's Steve Small's eggplant casserole with zucchini, squash and peppers from his CSA. From Steve:
"I never made eggplant before, but since I had accumulated 2 of them from the CSA I had to do something with them. I did a little research online for recipes and studied the pile of veggies on my kitchen counter and decided to do a casserole with the whole lot of them. I sauteed the eggplant, some zukes, squash, and peppers with one of those big, juicy Summer Creek Farm garlic cloves, layered them in a baking dish with crushed tomatoes and shredded vegan mozzarella, topped it with panko bread crumbs and baked it. The eggplant practically melted with the cheese, permeating the dish with its tangy flavor. It was sad watching the casserole shrink each time I scooped out a portion to reheat for the next meal, but as the flavors had more time to marry it continued to improve. Alas, today I bade farewell to the casserole as I finished the last serving. There's another eggplant in the fridge, so I might try it again, but since it was completely improvised, like a Jazz solo, the dish can never be replicated."

No comments: